Monday, February 15, 2010

Local Artist Profile
for Eloquence Magazine, January 2009

Just Dance!
by Michelle Viljoen

Sleep is a luxury. Coffee keeps him going. The life of a choreographer in Seoul isn’t only fun and fame. As Chang-Hoon Lee knows well, it’s a lot of hard work.

Chang-Hoon has been a choreographer for more than a decade. He has worked with big names in Korea, like Rain, the Wondergirls, Drunken Tiger, and 2PM. These days he can be found in his studio, the Noah Art Studio in Seoul, doing anything but taking it easy.

Before the fame, it was a simple ad for a dancing group in a local newspaper that awoke his interest in dancing. This interest was further nurtured by his grandmother. He remembers the day she brought home Michael Jackson’s Thriller – which has inspired his dancing since. “My grandmother fully supported my dancing. She was also creative and artistic.”

Making a breakthrough in the dancing community was helped by being talented and the role of his former teacher, Young-Jin Yoo, a well-known composer. Yoo gave him the opportunities he needed to get his foot in the entertainment business.

His most memorable performance came early in his career. In his early twenties, Chang-Hoon found himself responsible for S.E.S’s dance choreography for their first concert. He had to train 20 people. “For about a month before the concert we worked really hard. I was pretty nervous about it, but the concert well,” he remembers fondly.

A few years later Chang-Hoon again helped a now famous Korean artist on his first album. Rain and Chang-Hoon worked together from 2001 until 2002. “Rain is one of my favourite artists to work with. He is always prepared and passionate about the job. Even if he could sleep for only 2 hours, he would still be ready.” Rain’s passion for dance inspired Chang-Hoon and the two dancers gelled together very well.

Shortly after his success with these Korean stars, Chang-Hoon entered military service. When he completed his military service in 2002, he decided to focus on training and opening his own studio.

Since he started training students, Chang-Hoon realised that being a teacher is a two-way street. “I train students, but I can also learn from them. That’s why I value good communication with my students.”

When he has time, Chang-Hoon is also working on developing a new genre of dancing. One that takes its inspiration from dancing, drama and the circus.

His own style is inspired by music. “I don’t want to copy the western style of dancing. I enjoy listening to new music. And my style changes with the music. “

Chang-Hoon expresses emotions through dance, but it’s something he feels is limited with the available K-pop. “Most of the songs are about the same emotion – love.” A place where he has been able to touch on different dance expressions, has been the musical, Hi Dharma!, an adaptation from the Korean movie that he is currently doing the choreography for.

“Sometimes I wish I didn’t have to sleep. There are too many things going on in my head. There are so many things I want to learn about and things that I want to do.”

“I don’t necessarily plan too far ahead. I think about the present and I work hard on what’s happening now.”

Dancing takes up most of his time and effort, but he doesn’t see it as something he loves. Instead it’s a part of him. “It’s my life. When I started dancing it filled a loneliness in my life. I found myself through dancing and I met people who became part of my development, through dancing.”

No comments:

Post a Comment